Possible to Use MXNet gluon.Trainer without a Neural Network?

I am trying to use the graph structure of MXNet to speed up some calculations, and I am currently trying to mimic behavior that I have already implemented in PyTorch. However, I am confused on how to properly do this, be it with gluon.Trainer or some other method.

To explain with an example, what I have working in PyTorch is the following (slightly modified to try to give the simplest example), and I want to translate this to MXNet.

import torch.optim

def unconstrained_fit(objective, data, pdf, init_pars, tolerance):
    init_pars.requires_grad = True
    optimizer = torch.optim.Adam([init_pars])
    max_delta = None
    n_epochs = 10000
    for _ in range(n_epochs):
        loss = objective(init_pars, data, pdf)
        optimizer.zero_grad()
        loss.backward()
        init_old = init_pars.data.clone()
        optimizer.step()
        max_delta = (init_pars.data - init_old).abs().max()
        if max_delta < tolerance:
            break
    return init_pars

As The Straight Dope points out in the PyTorch to MXNet cheatsheet, in MXNet one would usually be able to use a Trainer where one would use an optimizer in PyTorch. However, I don’t understand how to properly initialize the Trainer in my case, as where one would usually do something along the lines of

trainer = gluon.Trainer(net.collect_params(), 'adam')

I assume that I will need to collect the parameters myself as I don’t have a neural network that I want to use, but rather objective that I want to minimize. I am confused on how to do this properly, as the below is obviously not correct.

import mxnet as mx
from mxnet import gluon, autograd

def unconstrained_fit(self, objective, data, pdf, init_pars, tolerance):
    ctx = mx.cpu()
    # How to properly do this chunck?
    init_pars = mx.gluon.Parameter('init_pars',
                                   shape=init_pars.shape,
                                   init=init_pars.asnumpy().all)
    init_pars.initialize(ctx=ctx)
    optimizer = mx.optimizer.Adam()
    trainer = gluon.Trainer([init_pars], optimizer)
    ###
    max_delta = None
    n_epochs = 10000
    for _ in range(n_epochs):
        with autograd.record():
            loss = objective(init_pars, data, pdf)
        loss.backward()
        init_old = init_pars.data.clone()
        trainer.step(data.shape[0])
        max_delta = (init_pars.data - init_old).abs().max()
        if max_delta < tolerance:
            break
    return init_pars

I am clearly misunderstanding something basic, so if anyone can point me to something clarifying that would be helpful. Even more helpful would be if someone understands what I am asking and is able to summarize why what I am doing is wrong.

Hi,

can you please post the actual objective function you are trying to minimize? And an example of a datum? Your objective function must be able to be constructed through linear algebra using the building blocks of mxnet/gluon. In principle, what you need to do is wrap your objective function (and it’s parameters that you are trying to optimize) inside a custom Block/HybridBlock and then use that network inside the trainer. See this for undrestanding HybridBlock, and personally I find this example very intuitive: the output of the network is used directly as the loss function with no additional data. If you don’t need to use NN layers, but variables, you will need to define their shape inside HybridBlock and use the command self.params.get( ... ) see this example on how to define custom variables inside a HybridBlock.

In gluon, all loss functions are derived from gluon.loss.Loss (which is derived from HybridBlock). So a custom loss/objective function can be seen as a (trivial perhaps) neural network.

Hope this helps.