Installation issue Win10

Hi all,

I have a fresh Python 2.7 64b installation, under Win10 64b.
Then following the instructions, I called: pip install mxnet --pre
Everything went well.
However when importing mxnet I get the following:

>>> import mxnet
Traceback (most recent call last):
_ File “”, line 1, in _
_ File “C:\Users\arnau\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python27\site-packages\mxnet_init_.py”, line 25, in _
_ from . import engine_
_ File “C:\Users\arnau\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python27\site-packages\mxnet\engine.py”, line 23, in _
_ from .base import LIB, check_call
_ File “C:\Users\arnau\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python27\site-packages\mxnet\base.py”, line 113, in _
_ LIB = load_lib()
_ File “C:\Users\arnau\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python27\site-packages\mxnet\base.py”, line 105, in load_lib
_ lib = ctypes.CDLL(lib_path[0], ctypes.RTLD_LOCAL)

_ File “C:\Python27\lib\ctypes_init_.py”, line 366, in init_
_ self._handle = _dlopen(self.name, mode)
WindowsError: [Error 126] The specified module could not be found

I am definitely not the first to report something similar but I have found as many answers as posts :slight_smile:

Help! Thanks a lot.
AL.

Sorry all for the noise - finally found my issue.
But haven’t not found how to remove a question on the forum !

It’d be great if you post an answer to your own question :slight_smile:

You’re right. Try to make it a not too long story.
My first attempt was by using Anaconda.
Install Anaconda2, then Mxnet with GPU 9.0 support.
Things went not that smoothly, with pip issue regarding “certifi” package which cannot be updated without a manual del of the lib cause of distil,…
Also selecting the right mxnet install for the right gpu, etc. and having to add the --user option cause some installation requiring admin (who I am…)
After some amount of time figuring out what happens, decided to remove the env variable, then installing a fresh Python version on C:\Python27,
then a CPU only version of MXNET and other packages manually (Graphviz, matplotlib,…)
And this install gave me the error I logged for help…
But I realized that the path I actually pasted are pointed on the user AppData directory… coming from the --user install!
So I just deleted this Python dir in the hidden AppData dir… and now everything works just fine!
The install on top of Anaconda is not that trivial to the point of a manual install was a much simpler.
As I expected regarding the error type, all was a paths related issue.
Hope it may help !
Cheers,
AL